Monday, February 16, 2009

Root, root, root for the home team...

I figured out why I love to watch sports, but can't get really into them like most other guys... My favorite thing in sports is a good game, one that will keep you on the edge of your seat, popping up out of your seat, screaming and yelling, snacks, beer, etc... But the 'anti-establishment' or 'non-conformist' in me cannot pick a favorite team! When I hear: "Georgia is playing Florida, it's going to be a great game", I would much rather watch that than watch my 'favorite' team play a 'boring' game. I mean, I have teams that I like, but not favorites. I think the only reason you should own a jacket, hat, bumper sticker, etc... is if you are an alumni.

I say all of this to make this point. Try to think about religion in this manner. You should be excited to just experience the wonders in life and to celebrate what God is doing. Don't stick with one team, that is boring. The best games are more than likely going to be between other teams.

I know my view on this is confusing and contradicting. Christians say Muslims are going to burn in Hell, Muslims believe in killing Christians for spiritual reward. Well, drum roll, I believe those are man made corruptions, things that were written into those sacred texts by men and here's why. Back then religious persecution was much, much bigger than it is today. Even today they are still very strict in certain areas like China, middle-east, Ireland, etc... but back then those men's lives were at stake. Imagine if they said "oh, this is just another way of looking at things, it's very similar to yours, but some differences and we believe this is how it went..." They would have been sentanced to death and the new 'religions' would have died in vein. So of course they used FEAR to persuade the 'status quoians'. They put into place that if you did NOT agree with them then you were wrong, and would pay for eternity, or reincarnate as a dung fly, etc... Does that make sense? It is the same fear that Bush enstilled in us to go to war. It works, when people are afraid they will do whatever it takes to feel safe again. This is why FDR's quote, if you really think about it, is so profound and sums up WORLD PEACE and the MEANING OF LIFE "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" in my opinion, the wisest words ever spoken. I will leave you with a couple more quotes about fear:
"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie
"Fear is met and destroyed with courage." -James F. Bell
"...and if they don't win it's a shame." -Jack Norworth

No comments: